‘Rankin Selection Fruit Soda Bread and Butter Pudding is a recipe by my first guest blogger Paul Rankin. Oh yes, I just casually said Paul Rankin. You see, when Northern Ireland’s first ever Michelin Starred chef asks to write a blog post for your little baking blog, you do two things. First you check that someone is not playing some kind of cruel joke on you, and then you gleefully accept their offer! Rankin Soda Bread and Potato Farls kept homesickness at bay for the years that I studied in the UK, so I have a nostalgia for this recipe. It’s perfect for the week that is in it and a great way to use Irish products. So, I’ll hand you over to Paul (Yes, Paul Rankin! I never thought I would see this day….)’
Happy St Patrick’s Day! Chef Paul Rankin here with Rankin Selection traditional Irish breads
A staple of Irish cuisine is soda bread but while most people think of brown soda bread, fruit soda is one of our most popular products. Rankin Selection Irish Fruit Soda is like a moist scone loaf studded with succulent sultanas which plump up beautifully in the warm, creamy custard of this bread and butter pudding. We’re adding more delicious dried fruit and wee dram of Irish whiskey to this recipe too to make it an extra special Celtic treat! This recipe is a tasty way to celebrate St Patrick’s Day whether you’re in Ireland or just wish you were!
The Rankin Selection range includes Irish Fruit Soda Bread, Irish Potato Slims, Irish Buttermilk Soda Bread, Irish Barmbrack, Stoneground Irish Wheaten, Irish Brown Soda Bread, Irish and Irish Cinnamon and Raisin Loaf. Find them at supermarkets including Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Asda.
Have a fun St Patrick’s Day, everyone!
Fruit Soda Bread & Butter Pudding
2 Rankin Selection Irish Fruit Sodas (24 Slices), buttered
4 Tbsp Sultanas
2 Tbsp Bushmills Whiskey
3 Tbsp Caster Sugar
10 Medium Egg Yolks
3Tbsp Bushmills Whiskey
340ml Full Cream Milk
350ml Double Cream
2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
Icing sugar to dust
- Soak Sultanas with 2 Tbsp of whiskey for 3hrs or overnight.
- Grease a 22cm x 22cm x 5cm ovenproof baking dish
- Butter 12 slices of Rankin Selection fruit soda and place in an overlapping layer on bottom of dish. Sprinkle with whiskey soaked sultanas and cover with another 12 slices of buttered Rankin Selection fruit soda.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar then beat in milk, cream, vanilla and whiskey. Pour custard over bread and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Bake for approx 1hr at 325ºF/160ºC until set. Dust with icing sugar and brown under a hot grill – serve immediately with fresh cream and/or custard.